Thursday, June 18, 2020
Favorite Television Productions Set in the 1930s
Below is a list of my favorite television productions (so far) that are set in the 1930s:
FAVORITE TELEVISION PRODUCTIONS SET IN THE 1930s
1. "Agatha Christie's Poirot" (1989-2013) - David Suchet starred as Agatha Chrsitie's most famous sleuth, Hercule Poirot, in this long-running series that adapted her Poirot novels and short stories.
2. "Moviola: The Scarlett O'Hara War" (1980) - Tony Curtis starred as David O. Selznick in the second episode of the miniseries, "Moviola". The television movie featured Selznick's search for the right actress to portray the leading character in his movie adaptation of "Gone With the Wind".
3. "Edward & Mrs. Simpson" (1978) - Edward Fox and Cynthia Harris starred the 1978 adaptation of the events leading to the 1936 abdication of King Edward VIII of Great Britain. The seven-part miniseries was based upon Frances Donaldson's 1974 biography.
4. "Mildred Pierce" - Todd Haynes directed and co-wrote this television adaptation of James M. Cain's 1940 novel about a middle-class divorcee, who struggles to maintain her family's position during the Great Depression and earn her narcissist older daughter's respect. Emmy winners Kate Winslet, Guy Pearce and Emmy nominee Evan Rachel Wood starred.
5. "Upstairs, Downstairs" (2010-2012) - Heidi Thomas created this continuation of the 1971-1975 series about the Hollands and their servants, the new inhabitants at old Bellamy residence at 105 Eaton Place. Jean Marsh, Keely Hawes, Ed Stoppard and Claire Foy starred.
6. "And Then There Were None" (2015) - Sarah Phelps produced and wrote this television adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1939 novel. Craig Viveiros directed.
7. "The Last Tycoon" (2016-2017) - Billy Ray created this television adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel about a Hollywood producer during the mid-1930s. Matt Bomer starred.
8. "Indian Summers" (2015-2016) - Paul Rutman created this series about the British community's summer residence at Simla during the British Raj of the 1930s. The series starred Henry Lloyd-Hughes, Nikesh Patel, Jemima West and Julie Walters.
9. "Damnation" (2017-2018) Tony Tost created this series about the labor conflicts in the Midwest, during the Great Depression. Killian Scott and Logan Marshall-Green starred.
10. "The Lot" (1999-2001) - This series centered around a fictional movie studio called Sylver Screen Pictures during the late 1930s. The series was created by Rick Mitz.