Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Five Favorite Episodes of "UNDERGROUND" Season One (2016)
Below is a list of my five favorite episodes from the WGN series, "UNDERGROUND". Created by Misha Green and Joe Pokaski, the series stars Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Aldis Hodge:
FIVE FAVORITE EPISODES OF "UNDERGROUND" SEASON ONE (2016)
1. (1.05) "Run & Gun" - The attempt by the escapees from the Macon plantation to catch a northbound train out of the state is complicated at every turn; while Tom and Susanna Macon have the remaining slaves - especially Pearly Mae, who was captured while trying to run - questioned about their plans.
2. (1.09) "Black & Blue" - One of the escapees, former house slave Rosalee, is captured in a small Kentucky town and held at a slaughter house, while fellow escapees Noah and Cato plot to rescue her. Underground Railroad agent John Hawkes (who is also Tom Mason's brother) learns of his wife Elizabeth's reckless action to save the orphaned escapee Boo from her ex-fiancé and U.S. Federal Marshal Kyle Risdin.
3. (1.04) "Firefly" - A notorious slave hunter named August Pullman and his son Ben track Noah and Rosalee, following their escape from the Macon plantation at the end of the previous episode. The other slaves involved in Noah's plot contemplate running, as well. Meanwhile, John and Elizabeth face a lethal predicament, when one of the runaways they are sheltering turns hostile.
4. (1.01) "The Macon 7" - In the series premiere, Noah begins to plot an escape from the Macon plantation to the Ohio River and free states. He contemplates on choosing which slaves to be included in his plan, while dealing with a hostile Cato, who also happens to be one of the plantation field drivers.
5. (1.07) "Cradle" - This episode featured a collection of vignettes about the younger characters - all children - facing the harsh realities of the world in antebellum America.