Below is a list of my favorite period piece television series and miniseries of the past decade (2000-2009):
Favorite PERIOD TELEVISION DRAMAS of the Decade (2000-2009)
1. “Band of Brothers” (2001) - Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg produced this acclaimed and award-winning 10-part miniseries about the World War II experiences of E Company ("Easy Company") of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army. Damian Lewis and Ron Livingston starred.
2. "North and South" (2004) - This popular four-part miniseries was an adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's 1855 novel about the contrast between the way of life in the industrial North of England and the wealthier South via two characters - the daughter of an ex-clergyman and a cotton mill owner. Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage starred in this production written by Sandy Welch and directed by Brian Percival.
3. "Mad Men" (2007-present) - Matthew Weiner created this award-winning series about an advertising agency in 1960s Manhattan. Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss and January Jones star.
4. "Taken" (2002) - Leslie Bohem and Steven Spielberg produced this 10-part miniseries about visiting aliens and their impact upon the lives of three families over the span of six decades.
5. "Into the West" (2005) - Steven Spielberg directed this six-part miniseries about the history of the American West through the eyes of a Virginia family and a Lakota family. Matthew Settle, Tonantzin Carmelo, Skeet Ulrich, Michael Spears and Zahn McClarnon.
6. "John Adams" (2008) - Tom Hanks produced this seven-part, award-winning miniseries about John Adams, the 2nd U.S. president and his wife, Abigail Adams. Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, Stephen Dillane, Tom Wilkerson and David Morse starred.
7. "The Tudors" (2007-2010) - Michael Hirst created this television series spanning four seasons about the life of one of England's most famous monarchs, King Henry VIII. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Henry Cavill and Natalie Dormer starred.
8. "Five Little Pigs" (2003) - David Suchet portrayed Hercule Poirot in this emotional adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel about the Belgian detective's investigation of a murder case that occurred 15 years ago.
9. "Persuasion" (2007) - ITV aired this 93-minute adaptation of Jane Austen's novel about lost love and regrets over a broken engagement between the daughter of an English baron and a naval officer. Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones starred.
10. "The Forsyte Saga" (2002-2003) - ITV aired this second adaptation of John Galsworthy's novels "The Forsyte Saga" and "To Let" about the lives and loves of an upper-middle class English family during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Damian Lewis, Gina McKee and Rupert Graves starred.